NYSTRS.org logo

Unclaimed Funds


Last Updated 10/15/2020

When memberships in NYSTRS cease we make every effort to contact these individuals and encourage them to withdraw any contributions they may have made to the System. If contributions are not withdrawn, we add their names to a list of Unclaimed Accounts. If the contributions remain unclaimed for 18 months, they are considered abandoned. Whether unclaimed or abandoned, such funds may be claimed at any time by the former member, or his or her beneficiary or estate.

Links to both lists are in the menu at the left, or you may select a list below and click the "Browse List" button. Both lists are search-enabled; the search tool is found below. If you are looking for a particular name, search both. If you find it, or the name of someone you know, please encourage that person to call us at (800) 348-7298, Ext. 6090.

If you have unclaimed funds with NYSTRS that you wish to claim, complete and submit a Withdrawal Application (REF-7A). Before filing this form, call NYSTRS at (800) 348-7298, Ext. 6250 to discuss disbursement options.

The Abandoned Accounts and the Unclaimed Accounts databases may be reviewed in two different ways: alphabetically by name or by using the search tool.

Choose the account type:

  1. Browse the list (alphabetical by teacher name).
  2. Search by selecting a criteria from the drop-down menu in the first field below and entering the appropriate corresponding information in the second field. Then select the "Start Search" button.
Search by